Wednesday, February 15, 2012

This American Life: Music Lessons


I will be writing about the different segments in This American Life's Music Lessons episode for my third Spartan Reader post. I'm thinking on focusing on specifically two segments of this podcast: the prologue and act two.  The prologue is about a professional musician that loves music but still finds the frustrations of being a music teacher stressful. I could compare and contrast Durrell's feelings on this topic at the beginning of the clip to the end. In the first minute all he could talk about was the annoying middle schoolers he teaches but towards the end, he finishes off by stating how rewarding the job can be. The second act is about Sarah Vowell, a devoted musician that explains the effects music has had on her life. For this section, I could relate to the end of Durrell's prologue clip and also tie in how the things she has learned in her music class has effected her life right now. I could go through all the SCASi doorways for this one.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your connections. Durrell's frustrations parallel Sarah's confusion with the appropriateness of being graded in music. However, in the end, they both realize the true meaning of music and its value to them in the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good job on connecting both of the people.

    ReplyDelete