Monday, January 9, 2012

My Childhood Photo Album


     I don’t really remember all the events that occurred during my childhood, but I do have pictures that show me what I was like as a child. And like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Whenever I look back through my album with my sisters, we have this game we play where we each choose a favorite picture. Recently, I choose a picture of my mom reading to me. As a child, I never was read the classic children stories; I was read the books my parents had gotten from Korea. Because of their recent move to America, my parents were not yet able to read in English, so I was read the traditional Korean stories. I remember my favorite story; a story of a girl who had dropped a golden ball into the sea and her journey to retrieve if from the monsters on the sea bottom. My mom and dad, no matter how busy they were, always saved some time off their day to read to my sisters and me.
     I continued to read every day all throughout my elementary school days. The stickers on my Accelerated Reader sheet overflowing by the end of each year but at the end of my fifth grade year, my parents told me that we were going to move to Fort Wayne and my somewhat every day, regular schedule changed forever. I had always lived in a small town, so I was scared to move to what seemed like such a big city to a little girl. I don’t know if it was the transition to middle school, the move to Fort Wayne, or even if it something that naturally occurred as I got more engulfed with technology that got me less involved with books. I barely read out of school in middle school as well as the first two years of my high school career. I regret not reading as much as I should and try to catch up on my reading nowadays. With all the books offered to me from the school and also from the local library, my goal for etymology this semester is to read at least two books a month. No matter how busy my schedule is, I’m going to read every day, just like how my mom and dad read to me when I was little.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your goal, I may have to try that out! Reading really is a discipline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Accelerated Reader really helped me want to read but then I moved and there was no Accelerated Reader and I lost touch with reading even more.

    ReplyDelete