Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Currently

                    

      "... some of the things my daughters [...] were never allowed to do: attend a sleepover, have a playdate, be in a school play, complain about not being in a school play, watch TV or play computer games, choose their own extracurricular activities, get any grade less than an A, not be the #1 student in every subject except gym and drama, play any instrument other than the piano or violin, and not play the piano or violin."

     I never would have thought that anyone could publish a book that described my mother  better than what Amy Chua did in the book, the Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother. Chua's daughters, Sophia and Lulu, are some of the most accomplished people I have ever read about, and they're only as old as I am. Sophia got to play at Carnegie Hall by the age of 13, Lulu got to learn from the world renowned violinist Naoka Tanaka, and they both got the opportunity to perform around the world as the potent sister duo.  As a child, my mother was like any other stereotypical Asian mom, she pushed us kids to the furthest of our abilities. She told us that to be able to live up to the potential America could offer us, we would have to be the best of the best. Even though she isn't as harsh as Chua, my sisters and I have had our own experiences with fights and tears, whether it was being dragged to piano lessons every week or sitting down for another Korean language lesson. I never really understood why my mom wanted us to be the first at everything, but I now think I understand. Like Chua says, "everything is for their future." My mom is "the tiger, the living symbol of strength and power, [the one that] inspires fear and respect," and I thank her for that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment